Homestyle Baked Beans
Olive or canola oil spray
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp no added salt tomato paste
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 x 400g tin no-added salt diced tomatoes
1 tbsp salt-reduced tomato sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 x 400g tin cannellini or butter beans, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
4 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
Pepper to taste
- Spray oil in a medium saucepan and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomato paste and smoked paprika. Stir through and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add in the cannellini beans and stir until heated through.
- Remove from heat, mix in the parsley and pepper and serve on toast.
Feeding Kids Tip: Serve a small amount of a new food to start with. If your child doesn’t want to eat it, not much is wasted, and the rest can go in the fridge to try again tomorrow.