Hasselback Potatoes with Avocado Dip
4 - 6 large potatoes, with skins on
1 tsp salt, or to taste
4 Tbsp fresh mixed herbs, finely chopped*
4 Tbsp butter, melted
4 Tbsp grated cheese
2 Tbsp grated parmesan
1 large avocado
1⁄2 Cup sour cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1⁄4 tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat an oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Scrub and rinse the potatoes, cut into thin slices but not all the way through. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to prevent the knife from cutting all the way through. Place the wooden spoon down along the side of the potato holding it against it.
- Place the potatoes into a baking dish and slightly “fan-out” the slices. Sprinkle with salt and herbs then drizzle with butter. Bake potatoes in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- If you would like to add cheese to your potatoes remove them from the oven 10 – 15 minutes prior to them being done.
- Sprinkle cheeses over and continue to cook until lightly browned, cheeses are melted and potatoes are soft inside. Check with a fork.
- Serve your hasselback potatoes with the avocado dip alongside your favourite holiday time meal.
For the dip:
- Pit, peel, and mash the avocado with a fork. Blend in the lemon juice, along with the sour cream and onion powder, mix together well.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking and serve immediately.
Feeding Kids Tip: If your kids like this dip, put any leftover in the fridge. It will make a great snack later with sticks of carrot, cucumber, capsicum or crackers.