Shakshuka Eggs and Spinach
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 capsicum, diced
1 tsp. dried mixed herbs
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. turmeric & 2 tsp. paprika
2 tins diced tomatoes
1 small bag of baby spinach, or 1 block frozen chopped spinach
To serve: 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
To serve: Bread or pita bread
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frypan on medium-high heat and add the diced onion and garlic.
- Add capsicum, stir with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or until it starts to soften.
- Add dried mixed herbs, pepper, turmeric and paprika, and stir well.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stir well and bring to the boil.
- Add the spinach and stir regularly until spinach is soft and wilted.
- Reduce heat to low. If the mixture looks dry during cooking, add a little water.
- Make a gap in the sauce with a wooden spoon. Tip the egg into the gap. Repeat for all eggs.
- Cover with the lid and simmer until eggs are cooked. Serve the eggs and sauce in a bowl with a sprinkle of parsley and a slice of wholemeal toast or pita bread.
Tip: Check eggs’ freshness by placing them in cold water – if it floats don’t eat it!