Cook Well, Eat Well
Broccoli with Asian Dressing
600g broccoli or purple sprouting broccoli
a thumb-sized piece off fresh ginger
1 clove of garlic
1 fresh red chilli
3 teaspoons sesame oil
21⁄4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons low-salt soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat your steamer pan or put a large pan of water on to boil.
- Break the broccoli up into little pieces and slice up the stalks. Place the broccoli in your steamer or in a colander placed over the pan of boiling water and cover with a tight-fitting lid or some tin foil. Steam for around 6 minutes, or until the stalks are tender.
- Meanwhile, make your dressing. Peel the ginger and garlic, then grate into a bowl. Halve, deseed and finely chop the chilli and add to the bowl. Stir in the sesame oil, extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Whisk the dressing together and have a taste. What you’re looking for is a flavour balance between saltiness from the soy sauce, sweetness from the balsamic vinegar, acid from the lime and heat from the chilli.
- When the broccoli is cooked, drain it over the sink (if needed), then place on a big serving platter. Mix up the dressing one last time before pouring it over – absolute heaven!
Feeding Kids Tip: If a child doesn’t like something the first time they try it, it doesn’t mean they never will. They might prefer just lime juice as dressing. Or try broccoli again in another meal like Chicken Curry.