Chicken Spring Salad
2 chicken breast halves, skinless
2 - 3 bunches fresh asparagus
½ large head iceberg lettuce
Lemon slices, for garnish
1/3 cup almonds, slivered and toasted
½ cup extra light olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tbsp tahini
1 - 2 small garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp oregano, finely chopped
1 tsp basil, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken breast in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer covered for 20 mins or until done. Remove from water and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare remaining salad. Wash the asparagus and snap off the woody ends.
- Add a splash or two of water into a fry pan and heat over medium to high. Add the asparagus and cook tossing occasionally for 2 – 3 minutes or until asparagus is bright green and crisp tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- With a sharp knife, shred the lettuce and place in a large salad bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients into a glass jar, secure the lid and shake well until blended.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the lettuce.
- Return to the chicken and using two forks shred into strips or with a sharp knife slice into thin strips.
- Slice the asparagus into 2-inch diagonal pieces.
- Add the chicken and asparagus with the lettuce, drizzle with remaining dressing and toss through the toasted almonds.
- Serve and garnish with lemon slices.
Feeding Kids Tip: If this is a new food for your children, adding at least one thing they like can help them try it. For example, you could add capsicum slices or vermicelli noodles here. And you could serve the dressing separately.