- 1 brown onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 8-10 mushrooms
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to season
- ½ cup water
- 500g spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Wash carrots and celery under cold water and finely dice. Peel brown onion and finely dice. Set aside in a bowl.
- Peel garlic cloves and finely dice. Roughly chop rosemary leaves. Set aside. Peel the mushrooms and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Drain the can of brown lentils into a sieve and rinse under cold water. Set aside in a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, diced carrot and celery to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring for a further 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add brown lentils. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add canned tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add water. Mix with a spoon until all ingredients are combined. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until Bolognese sauce begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain pasta using a colander or sieve.
- Stir cooked spaghetti through lentil Bolognese sauce and serve with parmesan cheese.
Feeding Kids Tip: If a child doesn’t like something the first time they try it, it doesn’t mean they never will. Try it in another meal like lentil burgers or golden rice.