- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 4 cups water (to cover lentils)
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespon butter
- 1 brown onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 green chili
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup brown and/or wild rice combined
- Greek yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- Fresh coriander, to serve (optional)
- Add red lentils, 1 ½ cups water, turmeric and butter to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel onion and dice. Dice tomatoes. Set aside. Grate ginger and finely slice chili. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and ground coriander. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion, tomato, chili and ginger. Fry for 3-4 minutes until onion is softened and spices are fragrant. Set aside.
- Return saucepan with lentils to medium-high heat. Add fried spices, onion, tomato, chili and ginger. Add remaining water and stir through to combine. Bring to the boil. Place lid on saucepan and take off the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, until lentils are tender and water has absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to packet instructions or refer to our ‘how to cook rice’ video
- Plate lentil dhal with rice. Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and fresh coriander.
Feeding Kids Tip: If this is a new food for your children, try to eat with them and eat the same food. Then children are more likely to eat and enjoy it too.