Cook Well Eat Well
Lentil Salad with Chicken and Bread
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 500g chicken tenderloins
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ red onion
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 6 snow peas
- 1 ½ punnets cherry tomatoes
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 50g Greek feta
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- Heat a frypan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add chicken to the pan and sprinkle with paprika. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes then flip using tongs and cook for 5-6 minutes on the other side, or until cooked. Cooked chicken will be white all the way through, not pink. Set aside.
- Peel red onion and thinly slice. Place red onions in a bowl with vinegar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Drain the cans of chickpeas and brown lentils into a sieve and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- To make the salad, thinly slice the lettuce and snow peas, and cut the tomatoes in half. Add to a large bowl with the basil leaves and drained chickpeas and lentils. Add the onion, vinegar and oil dressing. Stir to combine. Crumble feta over salad.
- Serve salad with toasted bread and cooked chicken tenderloins.
Feeding Kids Tip: If this is a new food for your children, adding at least one thing they like can help them try it. For example, you could change one ingredient for capsicum or cucumber. Or use plain yoghurt instead of vinegar dressing.