Spaghetti n more meatballs
250g wholemeal or gluten-free spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 quality packet of beef, lamb or veal and pork meatballs
2 large zucchinis
400ml roasted tomato passata or store-bought tomato passata
Finely grated parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain, reserving ½ cup (125ml) of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large deep, frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the meatballs or vego balls for 8-10 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove to a bowl.
- Slice lengthways around each zucchini, leaving the seeds in the center, then cut the seedy bits into 1 cm chunks. Cut the edges into zucchini noodles or ‘zoodles’. Alternatively use a julienne peeler or spiralizer if you have one.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Cook the zucchini chucks for about a minute, then add the zoodles and pasta and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the passata and reserved pasta water, along with meatballs, and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until heated through. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and serve scattered with grated parmesan if desired.
Feeding Kids Tip: If this is a new food for your children, adding at least one thing they like can help them try it. For example, you could add capsicum slices, spinach or frozen peas here.